Feb 2, 2010

Chocolate 'Cheesecake'


Here's the recipe for the pictures I put up on the 30th. It might look complicated but it's not and totally worth the effort!

1 cup ground almonds
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup margarine

1 package of tofu (200 gms)
1 cup any kind of sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (the darker the better, I use Hershey's Cocoa Powder)
1/3 cup rice bran oil (or any non smelly oil)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 165 degrees C. In a bowl mix the ground almonds, whole wheat and margarine with your hands till it resembles tiny bread crumbs. Put it in a springform pie dish which looks like the picture below. If you don't have this you could try putting it in any round baking tin. The only problem will be removing the cake after it's done.

Put this pie crust in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Crumble the tofu into a blender and add in the sugar, cocoa, soy milk, oil and vanilla. Blend it into a smooth creamy paste. Pour this on to the pie crust and bake for about 50 mins or until the filling seems set.

Allow it to cool before you try doing anything to it. Remove it from the pan (I would only try this if I was using the springform) and add whatever nuts you like on top and eat !

Don't worry if you have an excess of the filling. I had too much of it left because my recipe had much more tofu so I've tweaked it here. I took a about 5 one inch pieces of agar agar (china grass),chopped them fine, boiled it in 3 tablespoons of water and added it to the excess filling. I let it set in the fridge till the cheesecake was baked and it was done.

Here's what it looked like (in case you haven't seen it in the older post)







1 comment:

  1. Hi Rithika,

    Please tell me which brand of vegan margarine is available in India.

    Thanks!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...