Feb 23, 2010

Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa)


I love carrot halwa and I've never been able to eat it outside since I changed my diet. So I came across this recipe in Dr Vijaya Venkat's recipe book (try getting your hands on it somehow!) and I modified it my way.

For the Halwa you need:

4 Long carrots (Usually availabe in winter. I'd suggest you use it only when it is available seasonally)
1/4 cup melted jaggery syrup (more or less depending on your sweet tooth)
A handful of cashews powdered in a grinder
2 cloves of Cardamom
4-5 Almonds roasted

Steam the carrots as they are. Don't peel them, you could cut them in half if they don't fit in your steaming apparatus. Let them steam for 20 minutes. Don't let it become too soft.

Once they are done steaming let it cool for another 15 minutes or so and then using a grater, grate the carrots. Mix in the jaggery, cashew powder and cardomom. Top with some slivers of roasted Almonds.

It's so much more easier than cooking the carrots in cow's milk for hours and adding bottles of ghee to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...