Mar 10, 2010

Soft Coconut Cookies

All this started when I’d forgotten about some coconut milk that I’d made and kept in the fridge for about 10 days. When I thought of making some coconut ice cream out of it, I opened the box to find that the milk had separated into a gooey bright white mixture on top and an egg white like substance at the bottom clinging together like an egg like the picture on the right.

After a lot of smelling and tasting my mom and I decided it wasn’t spoilt. So now that the ice cream was out of the question and the coconut milk now felt like an egg I thought of using it to make a batch of cookies. That didn’t turn out so well. We ended up eating the greaseproof paper with the cookies (because they tasted so good). But the same dough I put it into smaller biscuit cups and voila a beautifully soft cupcake came out without the use of any artificial raising agents.

So here’s how to do it.

½ cup Coconut butter (the top white portion of the milk after keeping it in the fridge for a while. I’d say a week. I wouldn’t try it with store bought coconut milk)
4 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbsp sugar
Some almond essence if you like

The coconut butter had a thread consistency actually more like a rope. It’s exactly how the egg is before you beat it. Everything sticks together.

Mix everything and put them in mini cupcake tins or biscuit tins (like on the left) and let them bake for about 20 minutes. If you have a grill it works well in that too and gives a nice crusty layer on top.


It’s so amazingly soft it’s almost unbelievable.


Coconut Milk can be made using fresh coconut. Just break the coconut in half and take out the white portion (it’s called coconut meat but I don’t like that too much) just as you would for chutney. Put it in a blender with some water and let it blend for a few minutes. Then using a strainer squeeze out the liquid and add some more water to the coconut solids and blend it again and strain it. This is what I used to make the soft coconut cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...