Nov 15, 2010

My Freckled Stir Fry Dinner

This is one was tonight's impromptu dinner stir fried by my brother. I just put together a bunch of ingredients, nothing special, just whatever I found around the kitchen and in the fridge that I thought would go well together.


I was looking for black sesame seeds instead of the white ones but found Nigella Seeds (on left)
instead (Nigella sounds like a person!). These seeds are commonly used in Indian cooking. They are also called Onion seeds or Kalonji. To me they taste like Ajwain (Carom Seeds) but lots of people think otherwise.

Why did I add them? For some colour actually. It adds some nice looking black freckles and some nice flavour too.



I used:

1/2 a pack of Button Mushrooms (about ten of them)
1 Green Pepper (Capsicum) chopped in to chunks
1/2 a pack of tofu (about 100 gms)
2 stalks of Celery
1 Onion sliced in thin strips
Sesame Seeds
Nigella Seeds (Also called Onion seeds or Kalonji in Hindi)
1 tsp Rice Bran Oil
Pepper or a Red Chilli



Heat the oil in a wok. Add the Red Chilli, Sesame and Nigella Seeds. Add the tofu and stir it for a bit till the tofu starts getting light brown. Add in the onions and let them cook a bit (I'm not a big fan of raw onions) After a couple of minutes add the mushrooms, capsicum and celery. I used the entire stalk of celery, with the leaves. Cover it for about 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Eat!


How easy was that?!


You can put it on top of some toasted bread, add some cooked noodles or rice to it, or just have it as is. Makes a nice, light and healthy dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...