Mar 1, 2011

Vegan Caesar Salad

The usual recipe for a Caesar Salad contains, besides the lettuce and croutons, some egg, some fish and of course some Parmesan Cheese. In India, the fish and eggs are usually replaced by Mayonnaise for the vegetarians, so that still leaves us non dairy eating folk out of this salad since we still don't get Vegenaise or any vegan cheese alternative in India. I used a simple replacement for the mayonnaise leaving the basic ingredients the same.

This replacement is an adaptation of my friend T's invention that I have also used to add some 'cheese' to the Eggplant Lasagne. I love her for making this and I know I am going to add it to many more recipes.

For the Salad:
Lettuce Leaves (you can use as many kinds of lettuce you find!)
A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (I like some colour in my salad)
Pepper
Salt
A dash of Worcestershire Sauce (always placed right next to Soy sauce!)
Croutons (I cut up bread into small cubes, drizzle some oil and herbs and bake it till it's crunchy)
Lemon Juice

For the cheese/mayo replacement:
1 block of firm tofu (200gms)
Olive Oil
2 cloves of Garlic

Squeeze out the water from the tofu by pressing it between your hands. Break it up and put it into a blender/ chopper. Let it get mushy and look almost like spoilt curd (you can grate it alternatively, but I find the blender easier). Heat one teaspoon oil in a pan, add some garlic, and add in this tofu puree. Cook it well while stirring at intervals till the tofu softens, which will happen in about 5 minutes or more. Add some salt.

In a large salad bowl, add in the lettuce, tomatoes, pepper, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce salt and mix well. When the tofu-cheese has cooled down add it in. Refrigerate before serving and don't forget the croutons.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...