Oct 27, 2011

Diwali in Pictures!



It's Diwali in India and I thought I'd give Vegan MoFo a peek into what it is like here in India right now.

Diwali is a once in a year phenomenon in India that goes on for almost a week. The roads are full of people, the shops are decked to attract maximum crowds, lanterns and lights adorn balconies and the kitchen is a mess! It's that time of the year when you get together with family and eat from the time to wake up till the time you sleep. It also involves a lot of noise and bad air in the form of pollution, but I have to admit, this has been one of the quietest Diwalis I have experienced so far and that is such a boon.

This post is a dedication to all the women who toil day and night in the kitchen to make the best traditional recipes for their visitors. It's also for all those people who did not burst crackers. All the birds and animals thank you!

This post is more of a picture essay of my Diwali day spent with the best cooks in my family making the best food. 


A Common sight in most houses - Chivda (Flattened rice which is roasted and seasoned with mustard seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric, green chillies, peanuts and dried coconut) 


Baby Potatoes with mustard seeds, turmeric and red chilli powder 



My grandmother making a vegan Chakkai Payasam (Jackfruit Pudding in Coconut Milk)

The vegan Chakkai Payasam

Fried Plantain Chips 

My Lunch! Clockwise from top: Baby Potato Curry, Appam, Rice and Mung Dal Pongal, Avial, Spicy Potato Chips, Kosumalli

A very potent Diwali 'Medicine' (Ginger, Jaggery and Coriander)

My sister's Payal 

Athai's Kolam (A fine powder is made with rice and geometric designs are made outside houses every morning. On festival days, the designs get bigger and elaborate. These geometric designs are considered to invite special energies in to the houses and also serve as food for the ants!)

My mother's Kolam (I forgot to click a picture during the day!)

By night, everyone lights tiny lamps and candles all over the house and outside.

 My sister made that lantern!

Probably the best time to play with Bokeh


Neighbour's Hand Painted Lantern

Another neighbour's terracotta lampost

Starry Lantern

Firecrackers in the sky

My apartment complex

My contribution to Diwali - Carrot Payasam with Cashew Milk


An unfortunate end to my Diwali - a tree on fire. I hope they managed to put that out.

5 comments:

  1. thats a pretty diwali capture... love the rangoli and payal.. and the pretty lanterns..:) happy diwali! i know i am tired of the cooking now.. time to eat just sandwiches for the next 2 days.

    Richa @Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Richa and Nilima! Happy Diwali to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Deepavali post Rithika. Thanks for giving us a peek into your festivities. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...