Oct 3, 2011

Stuffed Capsicum Islands

The vegetable market is a wonderful place to get lost. I always find ways to amuse myself looking at what's new in season and which cart will sell it cheaper. (I refuse to buy vegetables from super markets) I've just moved to a new part of the city and am still learning about whom I can trust in that market. I have noticed that everyone bargains, every single person! And it comes so naturally to them. I, for one, cannot bargain. I just know that if there is even a one second pause after I ask for the rate of the day, he's lying. In the same narrow lane of that market, you will be able to find at least three different rates for every vegetable. Someday I will get the pulse of this market.

There are a million ways and means to stuff the Capsicum / Bell Pepper/ Shimla Mirch. While cooking, many times I end up making things simply because I only have particular ingredients in my fridge. This recipe was born on one of those days. I had just paid my visit to the market ended up buying tiny green capsicums because I thought they'd be perfect to serve stuffed.

I ended up stuffing them with spicy shredded tofu with some black salt. Black Salt has become my favourite spice off late and I think I add it in almost everything. I love how pungent and sweet it is at the same time. Then I baked the capsicums in my tandoor while I made a tomato gravy.

This goes well with hot rotis and may be some nice salad on the side.

You need:

6 small capsicums halved
( I cut them in half and scooped out the seeds with a spoon)
200gms firm tofu, Shredded with a small hole grater
2 green chillies
1 inch piece of ginger
1/2 tsp black salt
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chaat masala

For the Gravy:
6 tomatoes
1 onion
1 clove of Garlic
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchoor)
1 tsp red chilly powder or more
1/2 tsp oil
1 bay leaf
Salt
Chopped coriander for the garnish

Mix the chillies, ginger, cumin powder, chaat masala and salt with the shredded tofu. Add more chillies if you want it more spicy. Stuff the capsicums and bake at 120C till the capsicums are soft to touch. They should look cooked.

Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger into a smooth paste.

Add cumin seeds and coriander powder to some hot oil in a wide wok. Add the garam masala and the rest of the masalas. Add the tomato-onion paste and the bay leaf. Cook this till the gravy reduces to about 3/4th of it's original. Add in the baked capsicums carefully. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.

Serve hot.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...