Jun 28, 2012

Traveling Vegan: North America Part II NYC

I've always been enamoured by big cities and New York has been my favourite for a while now. As excited as I was to be in New York, I also had other agendas for the trip. I wanted to hit at least one exclusively vegan place everyday. By the end of the seven days, I was ready never to eat a cupcake again. Just as I was sorting through the pictures the other day, K and I had a cupcake craving and I just had to make some. And I thought I was done!



I had a two page list with streets and avenues, phone numbers and websites to make sure I found every single one of them. Of course Google Maps eventually won over paper maps, but I can't get myself to trust technology yet.

What I observed is that vegan food at vegan places is much more expensive than I thought it would be. May be even more expensive that what it should be. There is a price to pay for eating healthier but I didn't imagine it would be that much of a difference. Sometimes it puts people off that vegan cafes are so expensive but I wish everyone understood what actually is happening with the food and how the subsidies favour the promotion of unhealthy foods like soda, meat and dairy.

A few of my favourites that didn't quite make it to the pictures:

1. The 'Shroom Burger at B.A.D. Burger, Brooklyn - Grilled Portobello with an amazing pepper cream sauce. Just have a Portobello Burger any chance you get anywhere!

2. The Ancho-Seitan Burger at Cinnamon Snail

3. Udon Thai Curry at Loving Hut

4. Ice Creams from Trader Joes

5. Vegan muffins from Whole foods

So this is what I was doing when I wasn't walking around the city...


A Roasted Red Pepper Harissa with Sauteed Portobello on Pasta
The first of my many delicious meals in NYC (Thanks Rahul!)



A vegan bistro that serves organic wines


Curried Unchicken Salad


Black-eyed Peas Cake with the most awesome Chipotle Aioli


Crispy Pine nut and Basil Seitan


Tiramisu



How can one choose?!

Not making things any easier


Chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting
Wish I had one in my hand right now






Bruschetta in Little Italy


Couldn't get enough of this one


Cupcakes!

Yummy Quesadilla
I'm not used to so much cheese in anything, but I now know how much cheese goes into a regular quesadilla. Thank heavens this was vegan!



Union Square Farmer's Market
On every alternate day of the week, farmers gather here to sell fruits, vegetables, plants, cheeses, honey and lots of other things.





Check out all the Summer Squash varieties

Pattypan Squash
How cute are they!

Radish

Rhubarb

Shiitake and Maitake Mushrooms

Yes, I managed to find a vegan stall!

 Pupusa stuffed with Loroco
A traditional Salvadorian dish which is much like a paratha from the Red Hook food trucks in Brooklyn 

Horchata -A traditional Latin American beverage
This one was made with Rice, Cinnamon and Vanilla.

Ethiopian Dinner in Brooklyn
They serve a dosa made of Teff with many different types of vegetable and lentil dishes on top



One of the most famous vegan bakeries in NYC, they even have two books to their credit.

Spelt Cupcakes

Chocolate Chip Donut
The most amazing donut ever


A hoarding at High Line
(Thought I should leave you with a non-food picture)






6 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely yummy! Great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! looks like one fun trip! i think we r the only peeps who would get twinkly eyes at farmers market's pretty produce:)
    babycakes swoon! i hear ya about cheese.. :) great clicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richa!
      It was a good trip. :) I was the only one clicking pictures at the farmers markets. So funny!

      Delete
  3. Aaaahhhh NYC, the land of vegan magic!! Aren't you glad that you need to walk around a lot in Manhattan? You stuff yourself at one place and by the time you walk to the next, you have space in your tummy again. :D

    NYC is the one place where I lost the maximum amount of weight in my life, despite eating a LOT. :D

    Beautiful photos, Rithika. That farmer's market looks so nice! We used to have a little one at a park close to where we lived in mid-town. Those fresh veggies and berries are so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susmitha! I'm so glad we walked, otherwise I would've been many more kilos heavier coming back. :) I can totally imagine how you lost all that weight!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...