Oct 8, 2012

A Moroccan twist on a Tapenade - Sumac & Cherry Tomato Chutney



I think it's time to take a break from the Indian cooking for Vegan MoFo day 8 and dive into different flavours this time. At home I usually cook Indian food about four times a week. But the rest of the time you will find me making Italian, Mediterranean or south east Asian food. If you open my fridge you will immediately know how crazy I am. It is about to burst but I still want to buy so many things to stuff in it.

Before I go any further, let's see who I found today: Chocolate and Beyond's Andrea from UK. I'm going to try making those 'Cheezy Jackets'.

How is this recipe a twist on a tapenade? For one it has no anchovies and secondly it has no olives. This chutney has all the flavour of a tapenade without the original ingredients. It is a beautiful red blob of yum. You will see why shortly.



I found an Indian variety of Cherry Tomatoes which I dried in the oven without any oil or salt. These tomatoes are oval in shape and pack a slightly more sour punch. To enhance the sourness, I added a few Mediterranean inspired ingredients like orange peel and preserved lime and to top it off some Wild Sumac.

You need:

1 cup sun-dried or oven-dried cherry tomatoes
1 tsp Sumac
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 a Preserved Lime
1 tsp chopped candied orange peel
2 tsp Olive Oil

Put everything in the blender and blend till smooth.

Store it in a jar topped with some olive oil.

Serve with Pita Bread or regular bread. Use it as a sandwich spread or in a salad dressing.






6 comments:

  1. Diversity is good :) and this is another winner. It's really nice posting about blogs that you are finding too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should write how you dried them. I usually add a bit of oil. How long and what temperature did you keep them at? I like how the tomatoes have retained the bright red colour. The tapenade is obviously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I should've mentioned that. I dried them at a very low temp for a few hours. They were good fro two weeks in the fridge. Thanks Harini!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...