Oct 7, 2012

Beetroot Chutney/Dip - Iron Chef Challenge #1


It's that time of the week when Vegan MoFo gives you an ingredient and you have to come up with something totally new using it. This week they chose Beetroot. I still want to keep to my chutney theme so this presented a strange challenge. Now beetroot is great in a salad, it's great in a raita, but chutney? After breaking my head over it for a few hours I called up one of my telephonic sous chefs, my thati (grandmother). As it turned out we were heading to her place for lunch and she just thought she should cook a beetroot for me in case I wanted to make something with it.

When I went there, I was clueless. But she loves leading from the front and the pro in her eventually took over. All she needed was a start and when I said "beetroot raita" a light bulb went on in her head. Suddenly she knew what had to be done. She started giving me instructions and we came up with something so amazing and beautiful within the 5 minutes since I had uttered those two words. No sooner than we made what we made, it was gone. We had created a success!

So, fellow humans, let me present to you a Beetroot Chutney. A chutney so pretty you wouldn't want to eat it, but when you do, you wouldn't want to stop.


In the big, wrinkly, magical hands of my thati



You need:

1 Beetroot, cooked and peeled
1 Green Chilli
1/2 Cup Roasted Peanuts (with or without skin)
5 pieces of Whole cashews
1/2 a tsp of salt
Juice of 1 big Lime
Water

First powder the peanuts, cashew, salt and green chilli. Add in the beetroot and lime. Blend till smooth. Add a little water if required to make it a smoother consistency.

Dip your chips into it or have it as a side. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will love it!


What a pretty fuschia!


12 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful!! What sort of meal is is traditionally served with?

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! I misunderstood, but now I get it. I wanna try it with potato dosa!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. Oooh Potato Dosa, yum!! We had it with roti and rice. We treat chutney like a pickle. It usually occupies a small corner of the plate.

      Delete
  2. This would be great on some vegan naan bread! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, I'll definitely make this! Esp. love the picture with your grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A treasure, your pati and her recipes!:) This looks very delicious and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks a lot Harini! :)

      Delete
  5. Amazing colour. Never tried a beetroot dip. Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks radha! Let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  6. Aaaaw, will your grand mother adopt me? This is delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...