Oct 6, 2012

Pumpkin Chutney Part Deux



How do you know if you are cooking healthy?

From the amount of waste in your kitchen garbage bin.

If what you throw is more than what you eat, you are probably not doing something right. So how do you decide what to throw and what to eat? Ask a monkey! The lesser tools you use in your kitchen to "prep" your food, the lesser waste you generate. Stop peeling and start eating.

Before we go further, today's find is: Muffin Topped. Emily is making some delicious looking vegan Waffles all this month for Vegan MoFo. Makes me want to get a waffle maker!




On that quick note, here is a chutney I made with all the left over seeds, skin and fiber from yesterday's Pumpkin Chutney. You could follow the recipe exactly like that one and substitute the pumpkin chunks with the skin and seeds (hereafter known as 'skeed') or you could turn it up a notch. This chutney is slightly bitter from the sesame. But I love the bitterness of sesame and I will forgive it because it gives me so much calcium! This recipe is oil free too.




Pumpkin Skeed Sesame Chutney

You need:

1 cup of Pumpkin seeds, skin and fibre
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 dried red chilli
1/2 tsp salt
Juice of 1  lime or lemon
water

Cook the pumpkin seeds, skin and fiber in 2 tsp of water in a covered pan for 6 to 8 minutes. Put it in a blender jar with the rest of the ingredients. Blend it till everything is incorporated well. This is not going to be a smooth chutney. It has small chunks of sesame and the pumpkin seed and I love that it adds a nice texture.

Alternatively you can powder everything else first and then add the cooked skeeds. Store it in the refrigerator.




Antique enamel in pastel blue goes so well with the Chutney, don't you think?





7 comments:

  1. This is really clever, I love recipes that use the full vegetable. The sesame sounds really great here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thunk it to put all the skins and everything together, well a monkey of course ;) Clever!!! And yes the chutney looks beautfiul in the blue dish.


    I don't have a waffle maker either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shoutout! I am definitely going to give this a try with some spaghetti squash seeds as I absolutely love the idea of a tahini-esque chutney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh sounds yum! I'm sure you'll like it. :)

      Delete
  4. I always use the peel with the pumpkins but this is the first time I'm seeing unpeeled seeds and the squishy stuff being cooked too. Awesome idea!! It'll save me the trouble of washing and drying the seeds now (it's my paati who does the peeling thankfully). Isn't it awesome how the healthiest foods take lesser time to prepare? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...