Oct 12, 2012

Raw Elephant's Foot Chutney



Did I scare you yet? This really is a chutney made with a quarter kilo of Elephant's Foot but it's a type of Yam not a poor elephant's foot. C'mon!

It's already day 12 of Vegan Mofo. We're almost halfway there. It takes a lot of planning to put up posts every single day I cannot imagine how much work it must be to put this event together for the whole month of October.

Today's find of the day is Veganise This!: Mel from Australia is going around the world in 20 days of Vegan Mofo this year with themed dinners from different countries every day. She's already covered so many countries. What a great theme and what a great way to learn new cuisines!

This week I have tried as much as possible to put up recipes of mostly raw chutneys. I am going to keep going with the raw flow but today is a little different. It's still a chutney and still is mostly raw. But today the main ingredient is something most people would not eat raw. This yam is a very commonly used tuber in India and is available throughout the year. But eating a tuber raw is not very common apart from a few exceptions like ginger, carrot and daikon. Not too many people eat this raw unless they make it into a chutney like this.

It has an almost cooling feeling in your mouth and takes on the flavour of the condiments added to it. I had it with some Dosa for breakfast and it also was a side for lunch. Chutneys are very versatile so they can be paired with lots of things.



Raw Elephant's Foot / Yam Chutney

250gm/ 2 cups Yam - Washed, peeled and diced
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1 or 2 red chillis
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 lime sized ball of tamarind
juice of 1/2 a lime
salt
1/2 tsp Oil (optional)

Temper the mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida and red chillis in oil. Put the diced yam, red chillis, tamarind and salt in a blender and blend till smooth. Add the tempered mustard seeds, urad dal and asafoetida to this. Add in the lime juice. Mix well.

Store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.








2 comments:

  1. You almost scared me but then I put on my courageous hat.As you already know I dig your chutneys so I stayed. Another yum. I need to get tamarind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I thought an elephant stepped on all the ingredients and chutnified them. :op

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...