Oct 17, 2012

Tomato & Sage the saviour Chutney




I love Sage.

I was just doing some reading about it and found out that Sage is also called S. salvatrix (sage the saviour) because it was used in a herbal-vinegar remedy to ward off plague. Plague or no plague, I think Sage deserves some popularity. The leaf is extremely strong in flavour. It has an almost peppermint bitterness to it when you bite into it. I personally prefer using the powder because I don't have to bite into the leaf. I love putting it in everything. I even put it into Indian curries when I am cooking onions or tomatoes. It goes into all my Italian experiments too.

But before I ramble on, today's find of the day: Vegan Fling by Melissa. I love the look of some of her recipes specially the Strawberry and Poppy Seed Salad and the Alfredo Pasta.

This chutney recipe makes a great dip too. You can put it in a wrap or have it with some pita. It will also make a great gazpacho or you could mix it with some vegan mayo.

I did not use any chilli in it, but you could add some red chilli powder or paprika.



You need:

4 tomatoes
3/4 tsp powdered sage
1/2 tsp powdered pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Blend everything together.

If you would like it as a Gazpacho, add a little water and more salt.



4 comments:

  1. sage lover here, gazpacho not so much. So I think I'll stick to this on some pita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty recipe!! Lip smacking delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...