Oct 1, 2012

Vegan Mofo 2012 is here!

As I said in the earlier post, Vegan Month of Food 2012 (Vegan MoFo) is back! It feels like the last one was just a few months ago. The idea here is to get vegan bloggers to come together under one umbrella and blog every single day (!!) for the whole month of October. This year more than 600 hundred vegan bloggers from all over have signed up for it. 600!!

I'm totally not prepared for it. Blogging every single day would require me to have thirty one recipes ready. I'm lazy, but there are people who write a post every single day and how I wish I could be one of them. You are allowed to pick a theme if you like for the month or for every week. Basically you get a free hand. I thought this time I would pick an easy theme and post a recipe every day. So this year I picked chutneys, dips and spreads. Easy no? Not!



I picked that theme for many reasons. Chutneys are the easiest way to eat lots of the vegetable or fruit in the raw. They can also include cooked vegetables blitzed so that their flavour is heightened. They are usually very easy to make and can be paired well with so many things. In India, specially in the south, chutneys are very important. They are made out of a myriad of ingredients from vegetables like eggplant, pumpkin, snake gourd to fruits like apples, bananas and pineapples. There are even dry chutneys which are a blend of powdered pulses and oil seeds  that are mixed with oil to make it "wet". One example is something I did during Vegan MoFo last year - South Indian Gun Powder.

I have made a few observations from recipes of chutneys. Trying to add all the "tastes" in them brings out the flavours even more. Spice from chillies and pepper in fresh, dry or powdered form, Sweetness from jaggery, sugar or the main ingredient like a fruit, Sourness from tamarind, lime, green tomatoes or vinegar and of course salt. Fresh, shredded coconut gives nice body to a chutney. But it also means that they don't last for too long. Don't add too much water because that again reduces the shelf life. Store wet chutneys in the refrigerator and dried ones in pretty glass jars.

Along the way some more useful tips should come out of this exercise and I know I am going to learn so much. So here's to a month of great food on great blogs! Happy MoFo!






4 comments:

  1. I think this is a great theme and it's one that will be fairly manageable, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mandee! I chose it because I thought it is manageable. Hopefully I will be able to share everything I learn this month. :)

      Delete
  2. oooh i like this theme.. lots of chutneying this month!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...