Feb 11, 2013

Carrot n Coconut Date Squares

It has been too long. Way too long. I don't know where the last three months went by (apart from five weddings and a vacation)  but I'm hoping to keep a tab on the coming months. Thankfully I have no more excuses left to update recipes now, so I hope to do this more often.

I don't ever remember having Date Squares before I made this one. It intrigued me even more when I was planning to make it for a cook along because it sounded so healthy and because I knew I could make it even healthier. I used this recipe from Joy Of Baking as my base and played around with it to make it vegan and healthy. I eliminated wheat from the recipe (though I know sometimes oats can be contaminated with wheat) and also used organic jaggery instead of sugar. The addition of coconut to the base gives it a nice nutty flavour and the carrots are just for added bursts of orange.

I was not so convinced about this recipe until I tried it and I think you should too.




You need:

For the base and crumble:
3 cups Oats powdered
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ cup Desiccated Coconut
1 medium carrot grated
½ cup jaggery melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp oil

For the filling:
400gms pitted dates
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange peel

Preheat your oven to 180

Mix all the dry ingredients for the crumble and then add the wet ingredients. Make it into a thick firm dough.

Boil the dates with ½ cup water for 15 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t burn. Once it cools, blend it into a smooth paste and add more water if required. Add the vanilla and orange peel.

In a square or rectangular baking dish lined with parchment paper, put 2/3rds of the oat mixture and spread evenly. Spread the date mixture on top of it. Crumble the rest of the oat mixture on top of it.

Bake for 45-50 minutes.

It should be a lovely golden brown on top.



In other news, I am on my way to improving my "make a cake look pretty" skills. This is something I made for an order as an engagement cake at The Green Stove. The bottom tier is a Vanilla Sponge with Vegan White chocolate Frosting and the top is all Dark Chocolate. What do you think?





2 comments:

  1. wow ! nice cake!!! you need to spread the word about this blog more!!
    i discovered it by accident :)

    hello from a vegan in Australia! saved in my favourites folder

    will definitely try the date squares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Let me know how they turn out! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...