Sep 27, 2010

Pumpkin & Fenugreek Soup

This one is inspired from my non vegan days. I once had this soup at a restaurant in Mumbai. Of course it was a really thick, cream laden soup but I never forgot how much I appreciated the flavours. So I tried and tested one idea I had of replacing the cream with coconut milk and the result was a wonderful blend of flavours in a beautiful orange broth with speckles of green and red. (I will put up a picture soon!)

You need:

About 250 gms of Red Pumpkin (Lal bhopla in hindi / marathi), you can remove the seeds and the fibre around the seeds but don't remove the green skin
1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds)
1/2 cup coconut milk (I always prefer freshly made coconut milk)
3 Red Chillies ground to flakes or chilli flakes
Water
Salt
Fresh chopped coriander / parsley / basil

Steam the pumpkin and the fenugreek seeds separately. Once the pumpkin is steamed, purée it in a blender.

Put this is into a saucepan and add the red chillies, fenugreek seeds and a little water. Once it comes to a slight boil, add the salt and coconut milk and take it off the stove.

You can make it as thick as you like. If you prefer thicker soups, omit the water and add just the coconut milk.

Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley and serve hot.

Serves two.


1 comment:

  1. tried this one too :D
    loved the colours, and the taste of course

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...