Oct 16, 2012

Three Chutney recipes for the three days I missed!

I am back after a three day break from the big bad world of the WWW. I just needed to switch off the laptop, give my eyes a rest and find other ways to cool off the sunny October days. It was a welcome break because I'm refreshed and raring to go forward.



Because I have missed three days of Vegan MoFo where my theme this month is 'chutneys', I'm going to write about three easy peasy chutney recipes to make up for my absence.


Mixed Peel & Seed Chutney
This one my mom made with mixed peels and seeds of Beetroot and White Pumpkin and also the insides of a Snake Gourd. I have made a chutney with only pumpkin seed -Skeed Chutney. You can use any left over peels, seeds and fiber for this chutney.



Mixed Peel & Seed Chutney
1 cup mixed peels, skin and fiber
1 cup coconut
1/2 lime sized piece of tamarind
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1-2 Red Chillies
2 tsp oil (optional)
Salt

Heat the oil if using and cook the skin, peels and fiber. Remove it and add it to the blender jar. Heat more oil and temper the mustard seeds, urad dal. Add the asafoetida and red chilli. Remove only the red chilli and add it along with Coconut, salt and tamarind to the blender jar. Blend till smooth. Add the tempered mustard seed and dal. Store in the refrigerator.



Horse gram Chutney
This is a not so common chutney made with a not so common dal. I haven't seen many people use Horse Gram. Wikipedia says it is common as cattle feed. Doesn't stop me from eating it! This chutney was made by my granny and is actually a very typically South Indian chutney.



Horse gram Chutney
1/2 cup horse gram
2-3 Red Chillis
1 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt

Roast the horse gram till it splutters. Roast the red chilli, urad, hing. Powder the horse gram and them add the rest of the ingredients. Add little water and then grind to a smooth paste.


Cumin & Green Tomato Chutney
Green Tomatoes make great salads but they also make great chutneys. I love the flavour of green tomatoes in a chutney and I didn't do much to this one wanting to preserve the great flavour they give. Cumin was a perfect spice for this one because it cuts through the sourness and give a nice finish to the chutney.


Cumin & Green Tomato Chutney
4 green tomatoes
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 mild green chilli
Salt
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Water

Cook the green tomatoes with a tablespoon of water and salt for about ten minutes till they are soft. Blend in till smooth.

Roast and powder the cumin seeds. I powdered them using a mortar and pestle.

Add the cumin seeds and mix well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...